USA Today Best of 2012

Monday, April 19, 2010

More of the Big Things

Off to work today in our middle school again. Kinda feels like "home" to me now, and today it's going to be a rough day there, but I feel like that's where I'd most like to be.

We lost one of our 8th graders last Thursday, and I'm sure the kids will have a tough time dealing with it today, as will lots of the staff.

The suddenness of this tragedy (car accident) has really made my family think about how precious everything is, and how quickly it can all go away. And to quote my husband, "Really makes you stop and think about what forever means." As in, gone forever. We've had a few discussions about watching what you say to others, because you never know when it might be your last words to someone. I've also felt a little softer toward my kids... Is it really necessary to harp at them for leaving their socks inside-out in the laundry? Nah, I'll just flip them myself. Let them be kids and enjoy themselves. Is it too much for me to step in and feed/water the cats again instead of yelling at whoever is supposed to do it? I'd hate to lose one of my kids and (well I'd hate to lose one anyway) look back and remember all the times I nagged at them about chores, or grades, or whatever. And yes, they still need to learn responsibility, but there's a balance. After all, they're only kids for so long. Today, I'd rather hug them.

Maybe some of the little things really are big things.

Autumn Piper
Got romance?

No comments: