- Many big name authors really fear bad reviews. Some don't want to be notified at all about reviews because reading them--good or bad--interferes with their creative process.
- There's a perception in the publishing world, at least among some authors, that borrowing books from libraries hurts our business. Even more so, if it's an ebook borrowed.
Unfortunately, I think, again, agents might be a factor. Not that I think agents are bad, but... having somebody else handle all the "business" end of your business leads inevitably to, how can I put this kindly... ignorance? I wish there was a way for me to get the word out that: We do get a royalty every time an ebook is borrowed, so it's not "stealing". It's all tracked through Overdrive, where libraries get ebooks. And the ebook is only good for a certain period of time, after which the license expires and the file will no longer open. One author thinks I'm substandard because I admitted to borrowing books from the library. She says libraries hurt the biz. She buys every book she reads, which makes me lowlife because I can't afford them. *shrug* Hey, the way I figure it, people like me who use libraries keep the libraries open, and if every library in the country pre-ordered her next release, she'd have one hell of a first-run on it.
- Those really snarky, funny blog sites? Erm. Some of those gals go around just looking for something to be a bitch about. (probably not surprising, but definitely appalling, especially when some of what they blog is fabricated)
- Many authors (and some editors are now telling them to do this) don't send a thank-you to reviewers.
- I heard a few authors express the sentiment that book reviews should only say positive things about the book.
- All writers are not introverts. Some very much love the limelight and--whether willingly or not--can dominate a panel or group effort.
And that's it. As it should be--this is an unusually long post for me.
Oh, one more happy note, it sounds like my box of sunglass bags has been located. The person who fell ill was supposed to go pick them up yesterday, and the RomCon director is going to send them back to me. So they'll be nicely "aged" by next year...
Have a great weekend.