USA Today Best of 2012

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Home, James!

I learned something this weekend: My family is not cut out to be super-busy, crazy-running around people. We had one of those Very Packed Weekends and come Sunday night/Monday morning, well... we needed A Day. To just be at home, and recharge our units. It was a fun weekend, don't get me wrong, and I'd not cancel any of the events if I could, but by the time we were journeying home Sunday night, I had this song running through my head...

My Grandma used to sing this song, and the only time I've ever heard it was in her warbly voice, but I went looking for it on YouTube(the Encyclopedia of Everything these days). Sure enough, there it was, in Gramophone glory. I got to hear it in its entirety for the first time, and it's rather a cute story. For anybody interested, the phrase, "Home James, and don't spare the horses" is from Victorian England, reputedly from Queen Victoria Herself. Obviously the songwriter used artistic license for this tale. Have a listen:

Home James, and Don't Spare the Horses!

Happy Tuesday. May you get as much home-time as you need!

Autumn Piper
Got romance?

No comments: