USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whatcha readin' Wednesday

I'm gnawing my way through Stephen King's Under the Dome (and so happy it's on my Reader--800 pages in 7 ounces is fab). I've wanted to read this one since it came out in hardcover, but waited a long time for the ebook at the right price. Ended up free, by the way, with a store credit at Books on Board. Can't beat that price!

Haven't yet made it to halfway (300something pages in). King writes popular fiction, so he's all over the place point-of-view-wise. Deep 3rd with one character, then another smack in the middle for a paragraph or sentence, then omniscient with some foreshadowing. And you know what? It's positively riveting. I do so enjoy watching the characters' world unravel at such an alarming rate. LOL. And I also love how King can totally mess with his readers by having a dirty villain do something totally sweet (like thinking a hug from a little kid is one of the best times of his life). The characters are real, and the good guys are flawed--something I appreciate, but many romance readers do not.

I will say I'm finding this one much easier to keep up with than, say, The Stand. When I read that one way-back-when, I had a hard time keeping track of the different characters in each chapter. Transitions have gotten much smoooother since then.

Happy reading!

Piper Denna
Romance is sexy!

1 comment:

Sutton Fox said...

Sounds awesome. It's on my TBR list!