USA Today Best of 2012

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Well, that's just sad

I do love ebooks, and ereaders, for many reasons.

However. The Borders store where I had my book signing (my first ever) last spring is one of locations that'll close. The news report last night said it'd be as soon as 2 weeks.

Man. I'm sure it's even more sad for the employees of that store. And I guess I can look on the "bright" side--this means our B&N will be that much stronger. Still. I can't help but feel bad for Borders. They supported ebooks (hubby bought my Reader there) back when B&N had shut down their ebookstore and eschewed the whole bit. Borders supported ereaders which could use books from wherever; B&N tried being proprietary (their damn ebooks still are, which still pisses me off because I really wanted to read that book I bought from them but am NOT going to read it from my laptop. Jerks) by only selling books for the Nook, and having those books only available to read on the Nook.

However. I do have to say, at least B&N makes all book "available" in their catalog, if they are available through the book distributors. It was rather like pulling teeth to get my books into the Borders store for my signing. And as far as the local stores go, I've noticed B&N advertises their events a bit more than Borders does (probably a bigger budget, since Borders as a whole has been in trouble for a couple of years now).

So I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Autumn Piper
Got romance?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sad...not sure if ours are closing. We have two...one kinda old and dumpy one, and one pretty new one that is really nice.

Sutton Fox said...

It is sad. Very sorry for you, chica.

According to the notices I get, my local Borders is in Oakbrook, IL. It's about 350 miles away, so I can't say it will bother me much.