USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Point of no return?

Have you ever thought about something you did when you were young, which now (with hindsight, experience, and age) scares you crappy? Knowing what I know now about how much work it is to get a writing career off the ground...

Well. There's this series of books my daughter very much wants to read. And our library seems to have every title in the series, except for the 1st. Weird, I know. We checked the online catalog and discovered they "stock" the ebook. So I requested it for her and told her when it becomes available, I'll load it on my Reader and she can try it out. Which in itself is not at all scary--she takes care of things, so I know the Reader will be safe. So here's what's got my hair standing on end: I kinda want to read that book, too. And all the others I looked at... which might make me really start liking YA (that's Young Adult fiction, for all you non-knowers), which in all probability would make me want to write some YA. Which would entail adopting yet another pen name. Meg Cabot manages to publish YA and adult fiction under one name, but... Yeah. I'm not sure that would be 'safe' for me. I mean, I work with that YA reader-base daily. And it wouldn't be a good thing for girls to read a YA book by me, and then, say, give Lone Star Trouble a spin. Another pen name is a huge pain. HUGE. And yet...kids are always hearing I write, and asking about reading my books. I've no doubt they'd go check out my books if they were age-appropriate. And kids (teen girls especially) are great talkers. They'd provide awesome feedback. Yeah, that could become quite addictive. *sigh*

Probably I should just skip reading that book. Probably.

Autumn Piper
Got romance?

1 comment:

Sutton Fox said...

Yes. Managing another pen name would be HUGE.

It seems you've listed more pluses than minuses in your columns.

Don't read the book. Kind of like, 'Don't look in that box...' lol.

You'd be a great YA author. Young girls always welcome a little more 'angst' in their lives.