USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Watcha Readin' Wednesday

This week's review title is Once a Cowboy, by Linda Warren. ** I read it on the Sony Reader, **and guess how much I paid for it? Nada. Zip. Zilch. It was a freebie in Harlequin's big anniversary giveway. And hey, let me be totally honest. I wasn't expecting much from "free" books. In the past, I've read a few stinkers pubbed by the big house that starts with an H with a Q in the middle. In part, I think the shorter length novel isn't my thing because I have a hard time connecting deeply with characters in so few pages. This wasn't a problem with Once a Cowboy, though.

PI Alex is hired to determine whether rodeo champ-gone-rancher is the son of a family whose baby was stolen when just two days old. To say her intrusion is unwelcome in his life would be an understatement. Their chemistry is great, though, and the story is fully developed, complete with well rounded secondary characters. Alex deals with everyday family problems of her own, while feeling a realistic compulsion to help Brodie cope with bigger issues.

Thanks to this nicely written and well-edited novel, I'll give that Harlequin rack a second glance the next time I'm shopping for something new to read. When we don't have many dollars to spend, it's nice to know we have affordable options. And I won't forget that Harlequin titles are all available as ebooks now, too.

This novel is a Nice Bang for Your Entertainment Buck. Worth your time and money, but not necessarily worth a re-read. Pass it on to someone who’ll enjoy it and keep the author on your radar.

Just finishing up: Mine Till Midnight, by Lisa Kleypas

Autumn
Got romance?

No comments: