USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Watcha Readin' Wednesday

This week's review selection is Unexpected, by Lori Foster. It was published by Kensington back in 2003. I bought it a Friends of the Library book sale after reading Jude's Law (bought it at B&N) and Jamie (borrowed from library). Since I do love libraries and can't afford to buy everything I read, I like to support my local branch when they have a used book sale.

Unexpected is a fast, fun read. (I finished it in under a week, even with all the extra holiday busy-ness.) Rich-guy-with-an-Average Joe-past Eli hires mercenary tough-chick Ray to help him rescue his younger brother from Central American guerilla kidnappers. The attraction between Eli and Ray is instant, all-consuming, distracting to the point it hampers her performance as a mercenary, and most of all - since she hates rich guys - unexpected. It's one of those attractions the characters deal with on every page, much the way we find ourselves utterly occupied when we're first infatuated.

If you like a kick-ass heroine who isn't afraid to speak her mind (and I do, which is part of why I had a hell of a time selling Lone Star Trouble), then you'll love Ray. If you like a hero who knows what he wants and will stop at nothing to get it - or her - then you'll fall for Eli.

I'd rate Unexpected a Nice Bang for Your Entertainment Buck. Well worth your time and money. When you're done, pass it on to someone who’ll enjoy it and keep the author on your radar.

Autumn
Got romance?

On the nightstand: Good Grief, by Lolly Winston. Loving it.

No comments: