USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Watcha Readin' Wednesday

This week's review selection: Seduce Me At Sunrise, by Lisa Kleypas, 2008 St. Martin's Press.



FYI - any fellow authors out there, I bought this book the same day I watched the trailer on youtube:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHsMMd-nS8



In case you're wondering, YES, trailers do sell books.

I'm notorious for starting book series in the middle and this is no exception; it's the second book about this particular family. I will find Mine Till Midnight soon, so I'll be prepared when #3 comes out early next year. But I digress. About this book:

It's 1848. Win is one of four daughters of a wealthy family. A bout of scarlet fever a couple years previous has left her with a weak heart and lungs - generally frail. However, she goes to France for an extended stay with a doctor who nurses her strength back with a healthy diet and exercise. Now she wants nothing more than to return home to Kev, who she's loved since the first time she saw him.

Kev is the orphaned gypsy boy a wealthy family took in and raised as one of their own. He's uncertain of his place in the world and determined to earn his keep with Win's family, though they'd never require him to. He's bitter most of the time, forever an outsider. Only one peson warms his heart, and she has since the first day he met her.

This book was virtually unputdownable for me. Even in my hectic world. I loved Kleypas' contemporary work, and her historicals haven't let me down. She gives us conflicted characters we can relate to. Their problems become our problems. The sexual tension is hot. Fantastic. Her descriptions are just enough to set the mood, without all the tedious details about what each layer of clothing consisted of and how long it took to don. I realize many historical readers love all the description, but I'm just not that reader. I loved reading this book because the story keeps moving.

I rate this book a Nice Bang for Your Entertainment Buck. I'll happily share it with a pal and certainly watch for Kleypas' next debut. I found just one flaw: a particular line of dialogue where the characters are discussing London society. "Gossip travels at full throttle." Unfortunately, it really stopped me. I even did searches on the net, hoping I was mistaken, but alas, the term "full throttle" is used only in regards to liquid fuel engines - none of which were available in 1851, at the time of this conversation. It was the equivalent of a wall-banger for me, but really, why the heck would I bother to throw the book across the room if I'd rather keep reading toward the fabulous happily ever after?

Piper Denna
Romance is sexy!



Get Your Own Copy! A book you love so much, no way are you loaning it out. Worthy of high praise and frequent recommendations – but trust us, if you let someone borrow this one, they’ll “forget” to return it. Don’t miss the next title by this author.

Keeper. You won’t regret either time or money spent with this book. It has a permanent spot on your shelf. Recommend it freely and lend it carefully to that trustworthy “inner circle” of reader friends. Put the author on your To Be Read list.

Nice Bang for Your Entertainment Buck. Well worth your time and money, but not necessarily worth a re-read. Pass it on to someone who’ll enjoy it and keep the author on your radar.

Borrow It. An okay read, but try to borrow it from a friend or library. This author will likely improve with experience, so remember him/her.

Don’t Bother. We won’t sink into varying degrees of badness – one size fits all in our “not worthy” category. Do remember, this is just one opinion, so take us with a grain of salt.

No comments: