USA Today Best of 2012

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More on food

OK. So I'm not exactly a Cook with Prowess... but when I come across something that works for me, I like to share.

I found this recipe in a magazine and then adjusted it as needed to make it work for my family.

Do-It-Yourself Crispy Tortilla Pizzas

6 to 8 inch flour tortillas (1 per person)
Jar spaghetti sauce (store brand works fine, but whatever you like. Save what's left of the jar for a casserole or simple pasta night later in the week)
Shredded cheese (I like to have the mexican mix or colby/jack as well as mozzarella and parmesan)
Meats of choice (sliced pepperoni, any sausage your family likes, bacon bits, small-cut pieces of ham or any leftover meat from the fridge: chicken, turkey, roast beef, pork roast, etc)
Veggies (again, whatever the fam likes: sliced olives, mushrooms, onion, peppers, -- I buy a tiny jar of artichoke hearts and save the leftovers for next time -- I've got one kid who likes shredded carrots on everything, pineapple chunks if you like)

Lightly coat each tortilla on both sides with nonstick spray and lay out on cookie sheets. For smaller kids, go ahead and spoon on the appropriate amount of sauce, but otherwise let everybody "decorate" their pizza with desired toppings. Back on middle oven rack for 4 minutes at 500 degrees (yes, 500), then move to lower rack for 3 minutes or until edges of tortillas are golden and crispy.

Pull 'em out of the oven and slice into quarters with a pizza cutter - serve up to the happy campers.

Much more satisfying than an Almond Joy... :)

Autumn Piper
Got romance?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, those sound good and kid friendly to help make, I'll have to get my kiddo and pop a couple of these babies in the oven..thanks P :)

Maya Blake said...

Heck, Autumn, you had me at cheese! Anything with the stuff gets my vote. Recipe sounds mucho yummyio!

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

Anonymous said...

I like to take the shells and sprinkle cheese and minced onion on it. Throw it in the oven until the cheese melts. Take it out and put Taco Bell's mild sauce on it. Tasty and quick.

I aslo like to use English Muffins and build them like pizzas just the way you described. Then I throw them in the oven on broil until cheese melts. Yummy. This can also satisfy pizza cravings on a diet if you use Canadian bacon. Walmart sells it here and there is very little fat and clories in it. Just don't eat twenty of them if you want to lose weight. hehe.