USA Today Best of 2012

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Book vs. Movie Review

Once again, I've been disappointed by a movie which didn't live up to the book.

The book? Q and A, by Vikas Swarup. The movie: Slumdog Millionaire.

The premise: A very poor young Indian man wins a record amount on a quiz show, then gets arrested on suspicion of cheating.

Don't get me wrong; I think the movie was... okay... as movies go. However, when comparing plot and characterization, the book stands head and shoulders above. Some of the things they changed for the movie, I just didn't get. Like the jackpot amount. Why? Why change that? And the real reason he was arrested... why?

I do have to wonder, though, if someone saw the movie first and fell in love with its story, then read the book, would they feel the same way?

Things that make ya go "hmm".

Piper Denna
Romance is sexy!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

The movie is on my list....I have not read the book. If a movie comes out and the book is available, I usually wait.

I laugh at my husband...he LOVES the Twilight movies...but he's not a reader at all. (If my stuff is longer than a page or two, he won't read it!) When people tell him how disappointed they are in the movies, he says he doesn't care...he'll never be able to compare the two!

Anonymous said...

I have not read the book or watched the movie but they are both on my list. I am usually a movie buff and don't read the books that go along with the movie because I am highly disappointed, The worst was a Walk to Remember. I have to say you are right. The movie never quite lives up to the book, but in this case, I think the movie was better than the book. I'll have to watch and read these... :)