USA Today Best of 2012

Friday, October 24, 2008

Mommy out of the loop

Sad news yesterday. I was substituting at my son’s school and a girl from his class told me he and his girlfriend (his first one!) had broken up. “Like a month ago.” Well, my first reaction was to try and remember if he’d had a particularly blue or moody day recently. My poor little boy and his first love – over. And then I couldn’t believe he hadn’t told me. Mind you, I’m not deluded enough to believe he tells me everything. But… this is a biggie!

It’s not like I expected – or even wanted – them to be a forever item. But she was a really sweet, quiet kid. Friendly and respectful, you know? No hoochie vibes whatsoever. And how could I not know this vital thing? I used to know everything that happened to him all day long!

The newsbearer seemed rather pleased about the breakup. Rather like she’s interested, herself. And I’m not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I need some time to heal, first. Maybe I’d rather have him just be my boy again for a couple years.


Autumn
Got romance?





No comments: