USA Today Best of 2012

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Special place in hell

Ahh. I love whipping out a squeaky-clean, fresh-off-the-assembly-line-smelling new feature. And my newest, as indicated by the post title, is all about naming those humans for whom there'll be a special place in hell.


Today I'm spotlighting dumpers. I live in a somewhat rural area, and it seems everywhere there's a natural wash type area (aka gulch)--or even just a long, quiet stretch of county road--some asshat decides to dump used tires, appliances, rotten sofas, bags of trash, etc. What gives? Do these losers suddenly get a bug up their butt one day and decide to clean up the yard, load the junk up in the back of their pickup, and cruise around looking for a place to chuck it all? (We do have areas set up just for this type of thing. We nosebreathers call them "landfills".)


Enter the ever-informative sign. Which always makes me shake my head. First of all, it's a crying shame we actually need a sign to tell people they can't just throw their garbage on the side of the road. But also... what is the likelihood a potential dumper read that sign and say, "Oh. I'm not supposed to dump here. Better find another spot. Maybe I'll go to the dump." Pretty slim.


We can only hope they get something special later on, right?


Autumn Piper
Got romance?

No comments: