USA Today Best of 2012

Friday, November 11, 2011

Review in

I finished reading Something Borrowed. As I said before, it was different from the movie, and that's fine.


I did like the main character, Rachel. Although... honestly, if I hadn't seen the movie and wasn't confident in a happy ending, I might've put the book down, about 100 pages from the end. She really was entirely too passive for too long. Not "too stupid to live" but at one point, she spends quite a while comparing herself to "those women"--the ones who spend years as the other woman, waiting and hoping that the cheating man they love will leave his wife and spend his life with her. Time and again she planned to give Dex an ultimatum, but then let him off the hook. Rachel also spent entirely too many years supporting her witchy, shallow best friend. So it's a little hard for me to relate to her. And the book went on for too long after what was basically the end of the story--without any further resolution, that I could tell. Like a couple of trailing chapters there should've been freebies on the author's website, rather than part of the actual book. Again, back to my original assessment, that if this book had hit an agent/editor ten years later, it never would've made it to publication. At least, not without some major revisions.


Overall, I'd give Something Borrowed a: Borrow It. An okay read, but try to borrow it from a friend or library. This author will likely improve with experience, so remember him/her.


Now, from the movie, it appeared the sequel, Something Blue, would feature Rachel and Darcy's friend Ethan. But there's an excerpt in the back of this book, written in 1st person, and the main character is Darcy (the witchy, shallow friend). I read the excerpt and tried really hard to want it, but in the end, her voice hadn't captured my attention. I don't like her enough to want to read her story. So, sadly, I think this is the end of me and this series.


Next up, I'll be finishing How to Write Hot Sex, and then delving into MJ Fredrick's Beneath the Surface.


Have a great weekend.


Piper Denna
Romance is sexy!

No comments: