USA Today Best of 2012

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Beneath the Surface

Beneath the Surface (available in print or ebook) is by one of the authors on my Lyrical Press editing roster, MJ Fredrick. I love the books I've edited for her, and I loved Midnight Sun, so I also bought this one, expecting I'd enjoy it.


And she didn't disappoint. The main characters are archaeologists--divorced archaeologists. Well, working on being divorced, as she has gone to his dig to make him sign the papers, because she's engaged and soon to be married.


Any romance reader knows where this is going. Yeah, there's still a flame burning, and it's quite hot. The pain between the H and h is very intense, very real, and made me root for them to patch things up. I loved all the sassy give and take between characters, as well as the "doctor" both H and h are emotionally attached to. And what would an archaeological dig be, without betrayal, thievery, and murder? The suspense kept me wondering up til the last few pages. (In fact, if I was that kind of mystery reader, I'd have been trying to guess how things would turn out. Sadly, I'm along for the ride in a mystery and never try to put the clues together--I'm a mystery "sheep".) Nicely done!


I will add, a couple of the scary underwater scenes made me feel totally claustrophobic, but that could be the author's skill or from my personal experience this summer, attempting SCUBA.


I'd rate Beneath the Surface a Nice Bang for Your Entertainment Buck. Well worth your time and money. Pass it on to someone who'll enjoy it and keep the author on your radar.


Piper Denna
Romance is sexy!


Next on the nightstand: Vision in White, Book 1 of the Bride Quartet,by Nora Roberts

No comments: